Toyota relies on supplier partners for a significant portion of our company’s operational and service support. That’s why we are committed to not just helping M/WBEs engage with Toyota, but also providing the support and resources our suppliers need for long-term sustainability in the marketplace.
Our supplier diversity processes include services, events and initiatives that provide M/WBE suppliers with business growth opportunities as well as capacity development to ensure they remain competitive and positioned for growth and economic viability. We develop long-term relationships with our suppliers, built on open communications and mutual respect. This approach allows us to recognize and respond when a supplier encounters challenges in their own business operations.
Supplier Diversity Processes
Toyota’s supplier diversity processes include resources that provide our W/MBE suppliers with support and guidance to realize their fullest potential, such as:
- Technical and managerial assistance through Toyota Supplier Support Center. Through TSSC, M/WBEs develop skills that enable them to implement elements of the Toyota Production System (TPS) into their organizations.
- Site visits to W/MBE facilities by the Toyota team to analyze strengths, identify opportunities for improvement, and develop strategies for sustainable growth as an outcome.
- Mentorships that provide W/MBE owners with insight and guidance from other successful diverse suppliers and/or members of Toyota’s Supplier Diversity team.
- Structured networking and “matchmaking sessions” with existing Tier I suppliers during our annual Opportunity Exchange Event. This event provides direct access to Tier I suppliers with real business needs and opportunities.
- Educational sessions held during Opportunity Exchange reinforce Toyota’s commitment to engaging W/MBEs in our business processes and serve as a resource for enhancing and developing the viability of their individual companies with practical tips for capacity-building and marketing themselves.